Company: Lacons Brewery
Salary range: Competitive salary
Lacons Brewery is synonymous with Norfolk, established in 1760 and since re-gaining independence in 2013 we have been producing multi-award winning beer for cask, keg, bottle and can for an established on trade customer base across East Anglia and direct to national consumers. Our portfolio includes our core, heritage, and seasonal range of beers.
We are looking for a driven, organised and passionate Head Brewer to manage our brewery production and expansion plans. You will work on a 30bbl brewhouse to produce our multi-award-winning beers and have plenty of opportunity to make your mark with new product development using our 5bbl R&D kit. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to develop themselves professionally within an expanding brewery. Whilst we embrace our rich brewing heritage, we’re a forward-thinking company with a strong focus on quality, consistency and innovation.
- Wort production, monitoring fermentations and performing of cellaring tasks: Beer transfers, yeast handling, dry hopping, force carbonating, Co2 checks and racking.
- Negotiations of raw material contracts and ordering of raw materials to fulfil schedule.
- Optimise output and advise on new equipment specifications.
- Yeast management: Harvesting, pitching, cell counts and record keeping.
- Production scheduling to ensure delivery of product on time in line with agreed cost
- Bulk beer storage and transfer, including correct handling of lines and sanitation of hoses and fittings.
- Packaging beer into keg, cask with canning and bottling when required.
- Raw Material stock control and inventory management.
- Liaise with the Brewery Operations Manager about stock coming off, packaging lines and organising storage of packaging materials.
- High standard of QC and record keeping ensuring beers exceed expectations.
- Responsible for good brewery hygiene, including sterilisation of brewhouse and CIPS on vessels, product lines and packaging equipment.
- Complete all appropriate production documentation from grain to glass and follow standard operating procedures.
- Maintain accurate records in accordance with company policy.
- Ensuring adherence to our statutory obligations, HACCP plan, quality management system, Health & safety procedures and SALSA Accreditation.
- Take lead and work with directors in acquiring new equipment and Project management of new kit installation as part of growth phase.
- Undertake R&D to achieve positive change/improvements for brewing processes.
New product development:
- Design and cost up new recipes and seasonal brews ensuring they are accessible and appeal direct to our target market.
- Represent company at industry events/beer tastings when required.
- Visit customers to educate them on good cellar management for our products.
- Work with Directors to create and manage plans to increase annual output in line with agreed sales forecasts.
- 7+ Years’ experience of commercial brewing.
- Ability to Lead on recipe design and product development.
- IBD Diploma in Brewing, Master brewer qualification or similar.
- Ability to move and lift kegs and casks comfortably.
- Knowledge of SALSA and BRC Accreditation, process and maintenance.
- Ideally hold a relevant technical degree in Engineering or Brewing.
- Project management experience.
- Experience in barrel ageing and wild fermentation. (Desired)
- Glowing References.
You Must Possess:
- Strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate both verbally and written.
- Forklift certification or be willing to undertake.
- Strong problem-solving skills, you like seeking out solutions.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team.
- An adaptable and flexible nature.
- A strong passion for craft beers and the brewing industry.
- Canning line experience. (Very desirable)
- Lab work knowledge/experience. (Desired)
- A positive mindset.
- An intuition to continuously research new methods, processes and materials to improve quality, to optimise output and advise on new equipment specifications.
- Fluency in English
What you get:
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday (inc Bank Holidays)
- Company Pension
- Free Beer!