The Institute of Brewing & Distilling Photographic Competition
The Institute of Brewing & Distilling is a global organisation. We want the imagery that we use to reflect our world-wide diversity in both people and profession. The individuals that make up our membership, undertake our qualifications and help us to educate the next generation come from many different backgrounds and work in a wide range of industries related to the production of alcoholic beverages. We want our website to showcase the real people that make up our organisation and inspire those around them to achieve excellence in their working lives.
With this aim, we are launching the IBD photographic competition. You have the opportunity for your images to become a part of the IBD’s identity, along with prizes for the winners and runners up of each category.
The competition is open now and will run to the end of the year, so get thinking about how you can capture the perfect image for each of the categories below and send your entries in!
The winner of each category will receive a prize of £100 with second and third runners up awarded £50 each.
The overall winner will receive a prize of £250 with second and third runners up awarded £125 each.
The best entry from a member will receive a prize of £250 and a free ticket to their local section annual dinner.
Each month a prize of £50 will be awarded for the best overall entry.
Results of the competition will be published on the IBD website, in the members’ newsletter, and in the Brewer and Distiller International.
How to submit your photographs
Your entries should fit into one or more of the following categories. Images should be inspirational, and illustrate people in action, rather than static plant and equipment.
Education in Action
Images that illustrate the importance of education in the science and technology of alcoholic beverage production. How do you ensure quality and commercial success?
Product and Process
Images that highlight real people involved in the key processes in your alcoholic beverage production. From the preparation of raw materials right through to final packaging and product, we want to see how your process contributes to excellence.
Images that show how individuals are key in the production of our raw ingredients, the manufacturing of our equipment and all the other services that are a vital part of producing alcoholic beverages.
Community / Network
Images that focus on the importance of sharing knowledge and ideas among our worldwide community. How do you collaborate with others?
Be creative in your photographs and aim to capture the dynamism, passion and professionalism of the modern production environment. Think about the visual impact that the image has and how well it ‘tells a story’.
Photographs should demonstrate work practices that display best practice and be compatible with IBD’s mission to represent the latest knowledge in the science and technology of brewing, distilling and related industries.
Photographs should demonstrate work practices that display best practice for hygiene and safety.
Consent forms signed by all individuals featured in the photograph must be submitted. Please download the required consent form, download here.
Images should not feature any individuals under the age of 18.
Who will judge
The winning images will be chosen by a panel comprised of IBD HQ staff. The judges will be looking for those images that best represent the IBD’s core values of excellence and expertise, while fitting the design brief.
How your photographs will be used
All approved photographs will be added to an online gallery on the IBD website, designed to illustrate the diversity of the IBD. At the discretion of the IBD, any photograph that is entered may be used as artwork on any of the IBD’s online or print resources.
Who can enter the competition?
The competition is open to all members, holders of IBD qualifications, those studying for IBD qualifications and all industry professionals who through their work support the aims of the IBD.
What format should the images be supplied in?
Images should be in JPEG format, with a minimum size of 2400px on the long side.
Terms and conditions
- The Competition is open to all photographers (both amateur and professional).
- Entrants into the Competition shall be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions.
- To enter the Competition, email your submission together with the entry form to email@example.com.
- If you have any questions about how to enter or in connection with the Competition, please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Photo Competition” in the subject line.
- The image must not have been published previously in/on any other publication or website other than those owned by THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING.
- By submitting an entry to the Competition, you grant THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING:
- Permission for your entry to be published on THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING websites including but not limited to www.ibd.org.uk and learn.ibd.org.uk and you grant THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING an exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual licence (with a right to sub-license) to use, republish, edit and/or modify your Competition entry in any/all media (including in electronic format, hard copy and in THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING publications) for purposes connected with the Competition and as described in these Terms and Conditions; and
- The right to use your name and county of residence for the sole purpose of identifying you as the author of your entry and/or as a winner of the Competition.
- You also hereby waive all your moral rights in your entry. Notwithstanding the afore-going waiver, in order to use entries as intended and advised in these Terms and Conditions, (i) THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING may need to modify entries, including but not limited to resizing, cropping or colour adjustment as necessary, provided that THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING shall endeavour in undertaking such modifications to maintain the integrity of your entry as originally created; and (ii) THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING shall provide a picture credit for all entries that are used for artwork on the website, which will be given in the online gallery.
- You confirm that you own the copyright to your Competition entry as its author. Your entry must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use, must not include any trademarks, and must not show inappropriate or dangerous behaviour, or otherwise be obscene, defamatory, distasteful, offensive, or in breach of any applicable law or regulation, or in breach of any confidentiality obligations owed by you to third parties. If THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING has reason to believe your entry is not your own work or otherwise breaches these Terms and Conditions, then THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING may not consider it and may disqualify it.
- Entrants confirm that each individual whose image is featured in the Competition entry has given consent for the use of his/her image in connection with this Competition and in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- Entrants confirm that no individuals whose image is featured in the Competition entry is under the age of 18.
- THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the Competition or accepting any prize. THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to you or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the Competition.
- THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Competition with or without prior notice (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud). The decision of THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING in all matters relating to the Competition is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- THE INSTITUTE OF BREWING & DISTILLING shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations relating to this Competition where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.