The Diploma in Brewing examination is a measure of the candidate's theoretical knowledge of brewing science and technology. The objective of the Diploma in Brewing is to give international recognition of comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the principles of brewing science and technology.
Typical candidates are team leaders, operational managers and technicians. They take the Diploma in Brewing either as a stepping-stone to the Master Brewer qualification or as an end in itself. IBD members who have successfully completed the programme and passed their Diploma level examinations are awarded the use of the post nominal “Dipl. Brew”.
The examination is split into three modules, which can be sat in any order and combination.
- Module 1 Materials and Wort
- Module 2 Yeast and Beer
- Module 3 Process and Packaging Technology
- Entry is open to all candidates.
- IBD membership is a requirement.
- It is recommended that candidates complete the General Certificate in Brewing and/or have sufficient scientific knowledge at Diploma, BSc. or MSc. level.
- It is recommended that completion of the Diploma qualification is planned over three years. The minimum recommended study time is 3 - 4 hours per week (total 120 hours) per Module.
- Before applying we recommend that you read the Syllabus and the Exam Candidate Welcome Pack.
- Candidates should not limit their study to the direct Learning Material. Candidate's are recommended to read the Examiners Reports, Brewer & Distiller International, Journal of the Institute of Brewing and relevant textbooks to form the basis of their study. The Learning Material can be accessed under Learning Resources.
- Examinations are sat in centres around the world, to find your closest one please click here.
- Each Module consists of a three hour examination requiring short answer and essay-style answers. Previous examinations (questions and feedback) can be found here.
- IBD Examination Regulations can be found here.
|Module||Examination Date||Early Bird (EB) Deadline||EB Fee*||Final Deadline (FD)||(FD) Fee*|
|1||5 Jun 18||30 Nov 17||£265||1 Mar 18||£315|
|2||6 Jun 18||30 Nov 17||£265||1 Mar 18||£315|
|3||7 Jun 18||30 Nov 17||£265||1 Mar 18||£315|
*Note: Fees may be subject to VAT.
Are you looking for training to complement this examination?
If you are interested in receiving training for this examination please visit the Training area of our website.