The General Certificate in Brewing gives international recognition of the basic, under-pinning scientific knowledge and understanding in the principles of brewing operations.
The General Certificate in Brewing has been designed for candidates who may have little or no formal academic or technical qualification. Typically a candidate will be employed as a senior operator or team leader in a brewery or packaging plant, however the scope of these examinations will enable candidates from smaller brewing operations to obtain this recognised qualification.
The General Certificate in Brewing allows candidates to elect between mainstream and craft beer preparations:
9A - Bright Beer Preparation (Mainstream option A) - focuses on chilled and filtered (bright) beer preparation, as well as high gravity dilution and carbonation.
9B - Cask and Craft Beer Preparation and Packaging (Craft option B) - focuses on the preparation and packaging of cask beer, as well as chilled and filtered beer for craft beer.
- Entry is open to all candidates.
- IBD membership is not required.
- The minimum recommended study time is 3 – 4 hours on each Section, dependent on level of experience and prior knowledge. Some of the Sections will have more questions asked in the examination than others; this is detailed in the Syllabus and is a useful guide to allocating study time.
- The General Certificate Level examination is based only on information contained within the Learning Material. The Learning Material will be sent on application and can also be accessed by members under Learning Resources.
- Before applying we recommend that you read the Exam Candidate Welcome Pack.
- Examinations are sat in centres around the world, to find your closest one please click here.
- The 2 hour examination consists of 60 multiple choice questions sat either online or on paper. The pass mark is set at 66% (40 correct answers from 60 questions). Candidates attaining 90% or more achieve a Distinction pass and 80 - 89% achieve a Credit pass.
To view sample questions for this examination please click here.
- In the Name field please enter IBD
- In the Group field please leave it blank
- IBD Examination Regulations can be found here.
|Examination Date||Early Bird Deadline (EBD)||(EBD) Fee*||Final Deadline (FD)||(FD) Fee*|
|8 Nov 17||23 Jul 17||£245||1 Sep 17||£295|
*Note: Fees may be subject to VAT.
Are you looking for training to complement this examination?
If you are interested in receiving training for this examination please visit the Training Area of our website.