The Diploma in Distilling examination is a measure of the candidate's theoretical knowledge of distilling science and technology. The objective of the Diploma in Distilling is to give international recognition of comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the principles of distilling science and technology.
Typical candidates are team leaders, operational managers and technicians. They take the Diploma in Distilling either as a stepping-stone to the Master Distiller qualification or as an end in itself. IBD members who have successfully completed the programme and passed their Diploma level examinations are awarded the use of the post nominal “Dipl. Dist”.
The examination is split into three modules, which can be sat in any order and combination.
- Module 1 Raw Materials Preparation of Cereal Wort and Molasses, and Fermentation
- Module 2 Distillation and Maturation
- Module 3 Process and Packaging Technology
- Entry is open to all candidates
- IBD membership is a requirement.
- It is recommended that completion of the Diploma qualification is planned over three years.
- It is recommended that candidates complete the General Certificate in Distilling and/or have sufficient scientific knowledge at Diploma, BSc. or MSc. level.
- It is recommended that completion of the Diploma qualification is planned over three years. The minimum recommended study time is 3 - 4 hours per week (total 120 hours) per Module
- Before applying we recommend that you read the Syllabus and the Exam Candidate Welcome Pack.
- Candidates should not limit their study to the direct Learning Material. Candidate's are recommended to read the Examiners Reports, Brewer & Distiller International, Journal of the Institute of Brewing and relevant textbooks to form the basis of their study. The Learning Material can be accessed under Learning Resources.
- Examinations are sat in centres around the world, to find your closest one please click here.
- Each Module consists a three hour examination requiring both short answer and essay-style answers. Previous examinations (questions and feedback) can be found here.
- IBD Examination Regulations can be found here.
|Module||Examination Date||Early Bird (EB) Deadline||EB Fee*||Final Deadline (FD)||(FD) Fee*|
|1||5 Jun 18||30 Nov 17||£265||1 Mar 17||£315|
|2||6 Jun 18||30 Nov 17||£265||1 Mar 17||£315|
|3||7 Jun 18||30 Nov 17||£265||1 Mar 17||£315|
*Note: Fees may be subject to VAT.
Are you looking for training to complement this examination?
If you are interested in receiving training for this examination please visit the Training area of our website.