This qualifications is suitable for all non-technical personnel employed in the distilling industry who would benefit from background knowledge in spirit production and for those who have just commenced their technical or production careers.
Typical candidates are those working in sales, marketing, HR, and finance who would benefit from background knowledge in distilling production. The Fundamentals of Distilling (FD)require a basic knowledge of the processes used to produce and package the many types of spirits consumed worldwide.
The production of most spirit types involves many common features and the purpose of this qualification is to provide a basic grounding in the technical features of distilling of spirits for both production personnel and for people employed in distillery companies (and related industries), but in non-technical roles.
Fundamental examinations offer qualification for the validation of the training in the basic technical knowledge of distilling of spirits for production personnel or for the induction training of distillery company management recruits not necessarily intended for production management posts.
- Entry is open to all candidates.
- IBD membership is not required.
- The minimum recommended study time is 2 – 3 hours on each Section, dependent on level of experience and prior knowledge. Some of the Sections will have more questions asked in the examination than others; this is detailed in the Syllabus and is a useful guide to allocating study time.
- The Fundamentals Level examination is based only on information contained within the Learning Material. The Learning Material will be sent on application and can also be accessed by members under Learning Resources.
- Before applying we recommend that you read the Exam Candidate Welcome Pack.
- Examinations are sat in centres around the world, to find your closest one please click here.
- The 2 hour examination consists of 50 multiple choice questions sat either online or on paper. The pass mark is set at 66% (33 correct answers from 50 questions). Candidates attaining 90% or more achieve a Distinction pass and 80 - 89% achieve a Credit pass.
To view sample questions for this examination please click here.
- In the Name field please enter IBD
- In the Group field please leave it blank
- IBD Examination Regulations can be found here.
|Examination Date||Early Bird Deadline (EBD)||(EBD) Fee*||Final Deadline (FD)||(FD) Fee*|
|9 May 18||30 Jan 18||£240||1 Mar 18||£290|
|13 Nov 18||23 Jul 18||£240||1 Sep 18||£290|
*Note: Fees may be subject to VAT.
Are you looking for training to complement this examination?
If you are interested in receiving training for this examination please visit the Training area of our website.