The Master Distiller is the highest level of distilling qualification offered by the IBD. It is a measure of the level of a candidate's competence in the technical management of the distilling processes. Although they are competence-based assessments, it is essential that the candidate has a background which includes a detailed technical knowledge of the scientific theory and principles that underpins the process.
Typical candidates are team leaders or operational/technical managers in distilleries. Successful candidates are considered to be sufficiently technically competent to take up senior production management positions in the industry.
- Module 1 Raw Materials and Wort Production
- Module 2 Fermentation and Distilling
- Module 3 Maturation and Packaging of Spirit
- Module 4 Resource Management and Regulatory Compliance
- Module 5 Practical Project
- Entry is restricted to those holding the IBD Diploma in Distilling or exempt qualification.
- IBD membership is a requirement.
- It is recommended that candidates have at least 5+ years industry experience.
- It is a requirement that all candidates for the Master Level qualification are sponsored by their employing organisation, with a senior person nominated as the candidate’s Sponsor. The role of the Sponsor is to support the candidate with resources and opportunities to carry out the full qualification programme, including the project - Module 5.
- It is recommended that completion of the Master qualification is planned over five years. The minimum recommended study time is 3 - 4 hours per week (total 120 hours) per Module.
- Before applying we recommend that you read the Syllabus and the Exam Candidate Welcome Pack.
- As this is a competence based examination candidates receive no direct Learning Material. Candidate's are recommended to revise over the Diploma Learning Material (accessed under Learning Resources), Examiners Reports, Brewer & Distiller International, Journal of the Institute of Brewing and relevant textbooks to form the basis of their study.
- Examinations are sat in centres around the world, to find your closest one please click here.
- IBD Examination Regulations can be found here.
|Module||Examination Date||Early Bird (EB) Deadline||EB Fee*||Final Deadline (FD)||(FD) Fee*|
|1||5 Jun 18||30 Nov 17||£275||1 Mar 18||£325|
|2||6 Jun 18||30 Nov 17||£275||1 Mar 18||£325|
|3||7 Jun 18||30 Nov 17||£275||1 Mar 18||£325|
|4||8 Jun 18||30 Nov 17||£275||1 Mar 18||£325|
|5||Dissertation||N/A||£275||30 Sep 17||£325|
*Note: Fees may be subject to VAT.
Are you looking for training to complement this examination?
If you are interested in receiving training for this examination please visit the Training Area of our website.