The General Certificate in Malting gives international recognition of the basic, under-pinning scientific knowledge and understanding in the principles of malting operations.
The General Certificate in Malting has been designed for candidates who may have little or no formal academic or technical qualification and will often be employed as a senior operator or technician in a malthouse, or will be graduates or managers new to the malting business. The scope of these examinations will also enable those from smaller malting operations to obtain this recognised qualification, and are open to anybody with interest in malt production and IBD membership is not a requirement.
- Entry is open to all candidates.
- IBD membership is not required.
- The minimum recommended study time is 3 – 4 hours on each Section, dependent on level of experience and prior knowledge. Some of the Sections will have more questions asked in the examination than others; this is detailed in the Syllabus and is a useful guide to allocating study time.
- The General Certificate Level examination is based only on information contained within the Learning Material. The Learning Material can be accessed under Learning Resources.
- Before applying we recommend that you read the Exam Candidate Welcome Pack.
- Examinations are sat in centres around the world, to find your closest one please click here.
- The 2 hour examination consists of 60 multiple choice questions sat either online or on paper. The pass mark is set at 66% (40 correct answers from 60 questions). Candidates attaining 90% or more achieve a Distinction pass and 80 - 89% achieve a Credit pass.
To view sample questions for this examination please click here.
- In the Name field please enter IBD
- In the Group field please leave it blank
- IBD Examination Regulations can be found here.
|Examination Date||Early Bird Deadline (EBD)||(EBD) Fee*||Final Deadline (FD)||(FD) Fee*|
|9 May 18||30 Jan 18||£255||1 Mar 18||£305|
|13 Nov 18||23 Jul 18||£255||1 Sep 18||£305|
*Note: Fees may be subject to VAT.
Are you looking for training to complement this examination?
If you are interested in receiving training for this examination please visit the Training area of our website.