Introducing Real Ale
Real Ale exists to provide the best possible beers and wines from small producers, whilst building lasting relationships within the local community. We are dedicated to giving customers a great range of high quality, often unknown, craft beer and ciders from British and International breweries. In 12 years, we have become a popular, successful and ever-expanding business with locations in St Margaret’s, Twickenham, and Maida Vale, and a number of Awards under our belt.
We have strong relationships across the brewing industry and Real Ale has been a major contributor to the development of Marks & Spencer’s beer category over the last 9 years showing double-digit annual growth. We are currently one of only a handful of official suppliers of beer and cider into Marks & Spencer. The business has grown substantially from 4 products listed in M&S in 2007 to over 200 products listed in 2017. With further products which have been confirmed will launch in April 2018.
In addition to being a supplier and a retailer, Real Ale Ltd has a growing presence in export and wholesaling. It also provides services for corporate events, tasting and educational sessions and is a strong supporter of local community links and sustainable business practices. As a multi-faceted business, we are able to draw on our experience of working with small craft breweries and stay ahead in terms of key consumer trends, and directly translate this to multiple retailing.
Team and Culture
At the heart of our business live our core values of Integrity, Customer Rights, Excellence and Collaboration. These are woven throughout our work and culture, and we are committed to enjoying a friendly, fun, team focused and professional working environment.
We all believe in the importance of building and retaining a strong community feel and regularly support local events, charities and schools.
Our team is encouraged to share knowledge across all areas of the business, and given scope to develop skills and experience, including secondments to client sites. There are numerous opportunities to visit breweries, build knowledge on the product, and attend tasting panels and social events.
This is an exciting time to be involved in craft beer, and working at Real Ale is an opportunity to be at the forefront of the industry, alongside a talented, friendly and down to earth bunch, and get truly involved in a vibrant and exciting scene.
Summary of Position
An exciting new opportunity has arisen for a Beer and Cider Technologist and Auditor to come on board and work closely with leading retailer M&S, plus the breweries we represent. You will work with the team to ensure that all the breweries and cider producers we work with, and the products they produce, comply with the necessary Codes of Practices, and will be required to advise our suppliers on technical aspects of the wider brewing industry.
As with all our roles, this is a hands-on role that would be suitable for someone with a positive, can-do attitude who enjoys working as part of a small and dynamic team. The successful candidate will contribute to the overall success of Real Ale and our relationship with key clients. We are a small, successful and growing business, and there is an opportunity for some flexible working if required.
- Ensure Real Ale Ltd complies with the M&S Agent Code of Practice
- Audit small suppliers, ensuring they are compliant with the required M&S Codes of Practice; this includes conducting the audit, writing the audit report and aiding the supplier to complete all the actions agreed within the timeframe agreed.
- To ensure that audits include in-depth inspection of HACCP and Food Safety Management, Housekeeping and Hygiene, Raw Material Handling, Process Controls and Pest Control
- To become familiar with all relevant M&S Codes of Practice
- To ensure all externally audited suppliers (bottlers and canners), FSIG (Food Safety Integrity Group) audited sites, affiliated with Real Ale Ltd are aware of their requirements to adhere to M&S Codes of Practices, and to accompany these sites on their annual audits, assisting them in completion of their audit actions
- To ensure M&S complaints are investigated fully in a timely manner
- Keep technical documents updated
- Ensure the technical aspects of the business run smoothly and any issues are resolved swiftly
- Assist with the technical elements of the NPD process for M&S
- Assist with any technical, logistical and supply chain projects as required
- To visit affiliated sites in Europe and across the UK which will often involve an overnight stay
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of HACCP and Food Safety Management, preferably from working in a Brewery, a Cider Producer or a relevant food sector.
- Well organized with a keen eye for detail and proven ability to multi-task is a must
- Excellent communicator – both verbally and in writing
- Ability to thrive and demonstrate flexibility in a fast-changing work environment
- Confident and pro-active with a self-motivated approach to work
- Excellent customer focus and stakeholder management skills
- Competent with Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/Outlook)
- Relevant undergraduate degree or equivalent
Package and Benefits
- Salary £30,000 – £33,000 per annum depending on experience
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Pension scheme
- A discount scheme is available at our shops
- Regular social events and beer tasting
Stage one: Please send a cover letter detailing your interest and relevant experience for this position, together with your CV to Jenna Dunseath at: Jenna@realale.com
Stage two: First interview with Jenna Dunseath (Technical Manager) and Zeph King (Managing Director)
Deadline for applications: 13th April 2018
Please note: Real Ale Ltd is an Equal Opportunity Employer and mindful of its responsibilities to promote equality of opportunity and to avoid discrimination at all times. Our policy is that no person applying for a job or contractual work is treated less favourably than another because of their race, age, colour, ethnic origin, religion, sex, disability or sexual orientation.
Real Ale Ltd adheres to Drink Aware and takes a responsible approach to the safe consumption of alcohol. We feel passionate about bottled beer, wine and spirits and them being enjoyed by our growing number of customers from across the UK. However, we understand that the excessive consumption of alcohol can be damaging to one’s health and can be a contributing factor to anti-social behaviour. We would strongly encourage that all those who enjoy our products, drink them moderately and responsibly.
Type: Full Time
Location: Headquarters: 8 Old Lodge Place, Twickenham TW1 1RQ
Company Name: Real Ale