Job Spec - Brewer-in-Residence
If you want to change the world, you have to throw a better party than those destroying it
Role Overview: This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing global social enterprise, based in London, tackling food waste with award winning craft beer. Toast Ale launched in the UK in January 2016, founded by global food waste campaigner Tristram Stuart. We’ve received global media attention and won multiple industry awards. We’re listed in Tesco, Waitrose, Spar Scotland and many independent stockists. We were the beer of choice at the Queen’s Tennis Championships and have spoken at events all over the country. We’re now operating in the UK, USA, South Africa, Brazil and Iceland and we’ve had interest from all over the world. Our ambition is to become one of the most successful global social enterprises and craft beer brands.
We’re looking for an experienced and talented craft brewer to join the team and lead on all aspects of our brewing operations – primarily recipe development, quality control, and relationships with our contract and collaboration breweries. We currently brew a Pale Ale, Session IPA, American Pale Ale and Craft Lager. We do not own our own brewery, instead we have grown to date through contract brewing in the UK (Wold Top Brewery, Yorkshire) and USA (Chelsea Brewery, NYC), and licensing to breweries in several other countries. As the business grows we wish to bring brewing expertise in-house, into the team to ensure we are constantly innovating, holding all our brewing partners to account and maintaining a top-quality product with anything that carries the Toast brand. The role will not however require a great deal of hands-on brewing.
Start Date: April 2018
Hours: We are looking for someone part time, 1 to 2 days a week.
Location: Toast Towers, 105 Sumner Street, London, SE1 9HZ with the option for flexible homeworking.
Compensation: £40,000 per annum FTE + performance related bonus, pension contribution and possibility of equity stock options.
Deadline to apply: 23rd March 2018. Interviews to be held w/c 26th March.
How to apply: Apply by uploading your CV & a cover note through this link: http://smrtr.io/QBvPTA. For bonus points but not essential, please include a link in your cover note to a brief 60 second video of yourself explaining why you think you're a great fit for the role.?? ? Any issues then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Toast Ale: Toast Ale is on a mission to prove that the alternative to food waste is delicious. Toast is an awesome, award-winning beer brewed using fresh surplus bread that would otherwise be wasted. Did you know 44% of bread in the UK and over ? of the fresh bread in the USA is never consumed? Our mission is to change that.
We source surplus fresh bread from bakeries and sandwich manufacturers. We contract brew with established brewers, leveraging their expertise to create truly delicious beers. We also collaborate to create exciting beers with local bread at a community level. There’s a slice of surplus bread in every bottle or can and our ambition is to end bread waste through the beer industry. All our profits go to our brilliant partner charityFeedback to support the fight against food waste, making Toast the best thing since, well, you know…
Our founding principles: Toast exists for the following 4 core founding principles:
1. To produce great beer
2. To eliminate bread waste directly by brewing as much of it as possible
3. To raise awareness of the problem of, and solutions to, food waste
4. To maximize profits, all which will go directly to Feedback and other local food waste organizations
Ideal Candidate Profile
We are looking for a candidate who has significant experience in brewing. You should be passionate and knowledgeable about the broader UK and global beer industry, and our mission to end food waste. We are ideally looking for someone with strong UK and international industry networks.
- Lead on developing and improving the Toast product range. Recipe development and improvements
- Lead on our brewing innovation & R&D: look at ways of utilising more bread in our beer and incorporating other surplus products for collaboration brews
- Working with the Brand Director to improve the environmental footprint of our product (e.g. organic)
- Regular visits to our key contract brewing sites and tasting the beer made by our partners (contractors and collaborators) to ensure quality standards are maintained. Also liaise with lab and brewers to correct ay issues
- Representing Toast at industry events
- Supporting the open source recipe dissemination and global homebrew competitions
- Liaising directly with other brewers in the UK & Globally for collaboration brews
- Training to the team on brewing and industry development
- Advise on licensing, sales, distribution
- Help us develop some of the necessary policies we should have in place around health & safety, food safety, insurances, and product recall procedures.
Salary:Part Time - 40,000 per annum FTE + performance related bonus, pension contribution and possibility of equity stock options.
Location: Toast Towers, 105 Sumner Street, London, SE1 9HZ
Company Name: Toast Ale
Email Address: email@example.com