Distillery Tour & Whisky Tasting
Low and Slow – Tradition Meets New Techniques to Create Flavours and Categories in Whisky
THURSDAY, 21st April 2022 - 15:30 for 16:00 start - 19.30 BST
By the Southern Section
THURSDAY, 21st April 2022, 15:30 – 19:00 BST
Copper Rivet Distillery
Pump House no. 5 - Chatham Dockyard
Leviathan Way, Chatham
ME4 4LP - England
Experience a craft distillery fusing traditional whisky-making practices with new age brewing and distilling techniques to create new flavours and categories in Whisky.
Join the Southern Section in this visit to the Copper Rivet Distillery Chatham and discover innovative ways to produce whisky.
This event involves a tour of the distillery and a tasting session. All IBD members are invited. The session will be focused on whisky fermentation, distillation, maturation and blending and it will be of interest, but not limited to, distilling and beverage industry professionals, students, and trainees.
Price: Free for IBD Members
£35 for Non-Members
Not a member yet? Become one.
The event will be presented by Abhishek Banik - Distillery Manager - Copper Rivet Distillery and
Director of Spirits Sense Limited.
Tour, Tasting and Q&A will be run by:
- Darren Gregory – Assistant Brewer - Copper Rivet Distillery
Darren's passion for brewing started with homebrewing but grew so insatiable that he abandoned a career in graphics design to pursue brewing full-time. Under guidance, Darren is currently applying his practical experience to optimise and create a variety of unique brews which are vital to Copper Rivet’s Whisky profile, while intensely studying for IBD qualifications.
- Clay Evans – Assistant Distiller - Copper Rivet Distillery
Clay graduated from Heriot-Watt University MSc in Brewing and Distilling program with distinction after earning Summa Cum Laude degrees in Microbiology and Philosophy from Texas State University. Under the guidance of Abhishek Banik, he is developing into an astute distiller at Copper Rivet Distillery. His love for all varieties of spirits comes from a decade of bartending.
- Saumit Vartak - Production Assistant - Copper Rivet Distillery
Saumit recently graduated from Heriot-Watt University Master in Brewing and Distilling program with his thesis on whisky maturation. His passion for and recent studies in maturation and blending drove him to join the team to train and grow in the field of whisky blending while assisting the team with R&D and admin.
- Guests arrive at 3.30 pm.
- Tour starts at 4 pm, followed by a tasting, and Q&A.
- Guests will also taste Copper Rivet’s Signature Highball with Masthouse Single Malt Column Distilled.
- After the tour and talk food and drinks will be available to order at the distillery bar and restaurant, The Pumproom.
- For dining, pre-booking table is suggested. Tapas could be ordered at the bar without pre-booking.
Why You Should Attend
• Enhance your knowledge of fermentation, distillation, maturation and blending techniques specific to whisky production
• Taste multiple categories of whisky created by altering brewing and distilling parameters
• Tour one of the few Grain to Glass Craft Distillery in the UK
How to Get to Copper Rivet Distillery
Parking available on site. Please register your car registration number at the reception on arrival.
The distillery is a short taxi/bus ride from Chatham (Kent) train station. Chatham train station is 40 min from London St Pancreas station (platform 11-13) by high-speed rail link HS1 or 50 mins from London Victoria.
10 mins bus ride from station bus stop; bus no. 1 and 2 to Dockside Outlet centre stop.