Sustainable Innovation in Brewing and Distilling in Scandinavia
MONDAY & TUESDAY, 20th & 21st June 2022
What to expect in our Masterclass: Obernai, France, 2019.
By the IBD International Section
MONDAY & TUESDAY, 20 - 21st June 2022
Spirit of Hven Distillery
Island of Hven, located in the strait of Öresund between Denmark and Sweden
You are invited to participate in a new IBD MASTERCLASS LOCAL. This is
a technical seminar that brings together the knowledge and creativity of thought-leaders and practitioners in brewing and distilling to share knowledge, learn, get inspired, exchange ideas and forge lasting relationships.
On this occasion, this MASTERCLASS LOCAL brings together the brewers and distillers in Scandinavia to learn, share, network, inspire and be inspired by the cutting-edge innovation, technology and science - MADE IN SCANDINAVIA.
The objective of Masterclass Local is to support both IBD members and industry professionals in updating their technical knowledge continuously by learning from colleagues and international experts CLOSE TO WHERE THEY LIVE and without taking out too much time out of their busy working week
The MASTERCLASS LOCAL is brought to you by the IBD, the leading global provider of trusted technical knowledge to the brewing and distilling industries.
Discussion Hot Topics
- New Technologies: How do brewers, distillers and maltsters use new technologies? The digital toolbox, Internet of Things, Artificial intelligence, Robotics, Crop Science, Biotechnology?
- Innovation: Be inspired by the innovative power of Scandinavian brewers and distillers! Get first-hand insights into how successful innovation is done
- Sustainability: Making a positive impact on the world we live in including Environment, Communities and People. Learn how Scandinavian brewers use technology and fresh ideas to become a sustainable business
What Previous Attendees Say about this Masterclass
The IBD Masterclass Local is one of the most enjoyable IBD events I have participated in, both from the scientific and social viewpoints. The accommodation in on-site lodges and the food and drink was exemplary. The Hven distillery may be small but is amazingly innovative. One of their ongoing projects is to determine the impact on spirit maturation of different styles of music. The laboratory facilities and analytical instrumentation at the Hven distillery were amongst the most impressive I’ve seen, especially for such a small distillery.
MONDAY, 20th June 2022
TUESDAY, 21st June 2022
12.00 - 13.30
Lunch and registration
9.00 - 9.45
Tobias Emil Jensen
Founder, EtOH. Copenhagen, Denmark:
"This is not whisky, this is the future of spirits"
Welcome & Intro to the IBD
9.45 - 10.30
Technical Manager, Brew Tek Nordic. Gothenburg, Sweden:
“Practical aspects of cider production”
14.15 - 15.00
Founder, Spirit of Hven Distillery. Sweden:
10.30 - 11.00
15.00 - 15.30
11.00 - 11.45
Co-Founder, Brekeriet. Landskrona, Sweden:
“Into the Wild – fermentation with wild yeast and bacteria”
15.30 - 16.15
Head Brewmaster, Svaneke Bryghus. Bornholm, Denmark:
“Sustainable brewing at Svaneke- a Case study”
11.45 - 12.30
Secretary General, SPAA, Sweden:
“SPAA, Swedish Producers of Alcohol. An organization for brewers, winemakers and distillers. What do we do, and how do we do it?”
16.30 - 18.30
Distillery Tour & Whisky Tasting
12.30 - 13.00
Round Table Discussion and Q&A
Facilitated by Henric Molin
Lunch and Event Closure
Henric Molin. Founder, Spirit of Hven Distillery, Sweden
Jan Paul. Brewmaster, Svaneke Bryhus Bornholm, Denmark
Tobias Emil Jensen. Founder, EtOH, Copenhagen, Denmark
John Cardelli. Technical Manager, Brew Tec Nordics AB, Sweden
Fredric Ek. Co-Founder, Brekeriet. Landskrona, Sweden
Sara Sundqvist. Secretary General, SPAA, Sweden
Why You Should Attend
- Connect with brewers and distillers in Scandinavia to learn, share, network, inspire and be inspired by the cutting-edge innovation, technology and science MADE IN SCANDINAVIA.
- Create your strong personal networks and collaborations to play a pivotal role in the brewing and distilling industry
- Develop links to facilitate the flow of technology, knowledge and innovation. Those who could harness new technologies saw their businesses boom. Examples include JC Jacobsen at Carlsberg amongst others
What is Included in your IBD Masterclass Ticket?
- IBD Technical Seminar with 5 Speakers
- Technical Distillery tour
- Expert 6-spirit tasting led by the owner and head distiller
- Networking with colleagues
- Lunch on arrival
- Coffee break
- 2-course evening dinner with drinks
- One overnight stay in the Spirit of Hven Hotel cabins
- Buffet breakfast
- Lunch on departure day
- Bus transfer on the island
- *Spouse ticket does not include technical seminar